Monday, December 19, 2016

Laughing, Snoring, and "Lighting the World"

Dearest Family and Friends,

I am SO thankful for the ability to laugh. Here are a few funny stories from the week that I hope will make you smile, and then I'll share some highlights of the week.

1. I hugged a black man...

We went to get our oil changed and taught this awesome 24 year-old big black boy about the Restoration. He was so receptive and we gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and our number and he said he would read and pray to know it's true.

Anyways, after talking to him we were called up to get our car and I went to shake his hand but he stood up and was like, "That's not how I was raised." And came and gave me a huge hug and I was like. "AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Then he hugged Sister Henderson and when we got into the car we both were like, "What just happened? We just got hugged!!" It was so funny! 
(we're not supposed to hug males right now)

 
2. I snore...

This was the best. Being out on a mission I fall asleep in like 2 minutes it's crazy. One night, we finished planning and getting ready for bed early, so we went to sleep at 10:20. I fell asleep literally 2 minutes later. When I got in bed I layed on my back and thought, "If I lay on my back I might snore... but I've never snored before... but I should turn over to my side anyways. I will in just a second..." And then fell asleep.

After what seemed like a lot of time passed, I woke up to this huge noise which I realized was myself snoring. IT WAS SO LOUD! I said, "Sister Henderson! Was that me?!" She was like, "Yes! I was about to put ear plugs in!" Then I asked what time it was anyways and guess what? It was 10:24. I was only asleep for 2 minutes HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I've never snored in my life but that was the funniest moment ever. We both laughed and laughed the next day!

I hope some of you smiled, and will now look for the small things in your lives that you can laugh about! Better to laugh than to cry Sister Hinckley always said!

Now onto Light the World. How has everyone been doing with Light the World? Thank you all for sharing your amazing experiences!

I'll share some of mine.

Day 14 - Jesus Taught Us to Clothe the Naked and So Can You.

I had a really grumpy dream that night and when I woke up I was a little grumpy and wanted to give up for a second... but in personal study Heavenly Father helped me learn what I needed to learn to change my attitude.

Mosiah 4: Talking about caring for the poor and naked. The first part of this chapter talks about those who are homeless, struggling, don't have much, and how we need to take care of them.

19- Because, are we not all beggars? Do we not all rely on Jesus Christ for our salvation? YES! We are all beggars in this world who could go no where save it be through the grace of God.

22- Your life belongeth to God. I had been grumpy all morning and I can't afford to do that because my life doesn't even belong to me. It reminded me of the notes I took from Character of Christ in the MTC by Elder Bednar.

He said, " This mission (or life) isn't about you. It's about Him, serving HIM. Get over yourself! Get out of your own way and stop complaining. You don't get salvation because you want it... but because you selflessly serve others." Forget yourself and go to work!

Day 19 - No Less Serviceable

 This isn't to go along with the theme, but wise words my Dad sent me this week from President Hunter.

President Hunter talked about some of the people mentioned in the scriptures who were less known, than the Captain Moronis and the Nephis and the Joseph Smiths of history.  His talk was based upon a passage of scripture in the Book of Mormon that talked about Captain Moroni (Alma 48).  Here is what he said about it:

"It was said of the young and valiant Captain Moroni: “If all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.” (Alma 48:17.)
What a compliment to a famous and powerful man! I can’t imagine a finer tribute from one man to another. Two verses later is a statement about Helaman and his brethren, who played a less conspicuous role than Moroni: “Now behold, Helaman and his brethren were no less serviceable unto the people than was Moroni.” (Alma 48:19.)
In other words, even though Helaman was not as noticeable or conspicuous as Moroni, he was as serviceable; that is, he was as helpful or useful as Moroni." 

"If you feel that much of what you do does not make you very famous, take heart. Most of the best people who ever lived weren’t very famous, either. Serve and grow, faithfully and quietly.”

and

“Most of us will be quiet, relatively unknown folks who…do our work without fanfare.  To those of you who may find that…unspectacular, I say, you are ‘no less serviceable’ than the most spectacular of your associates.”

So, my dear friends and family, please know that ALL service you give is great in God's eyes. And it's like you're serving Him directly. And why is it great to God? Because YOU are great to God. You are no less serviceable than the most amazing person you know.

No experience you've had with Light the World is going un-noticed. Please, keep sharing the gospel, keep pressing forward with a perfect hope in Christ, keep serving others because you're serving God.

Love,

Sister Garvin
 
 
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment